This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1593 / 53°9'33"N
Longitude: -3.3781 / 3°22'41"W
OS Eastings: 307950
OS Northings: 363350
OS Grid: SJ079633
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.4V7L
Mapcode Global: WH772.2VMD
Entry Name: St Dyfnog's Well
Listing Date: 29 November 1999
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 22684
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: In a rocky, wooded natural bowl approximately 0.25km above, and to the W of, the church of St Dyfnog; accessed via a path running parallel with the well stream from the churchyard.
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Well basin associated with the C6 St Dyfnog. In the C17 and C18 the well was much frequented. Edward Lhuyd (c1698) reported: 'the water cures scabs, itch etc. Some say 'twould cure ye small pox.' An account of 1721 records built structures, which apparently served as changing rooms for visitors, and Pennant, c1773 describes the well basin 'inclosed in an angular wall, decorated with small human figures.' When Richard Fenton visited the site in 1808 he described the place as 'exhibiting one shapeless ruin, the bath being choked up and all the building fallen in - a most shameful neglect.' The present enclosing walls of the basin are certainly those described in these early accounts, and are probably of the C16 or C17.
Sunken rectangular bath or basin, approximately 3m by 6m and with dressed sandstone sides. At the NE corner there are 4 sandstone steps which lead down into the basin. At the SE corner is an irregular outlet with a segmental arch of rough-dressed limestone some 2m distant. This bridges a stream which flows down from the basin via the outlet and proceeds down the hill to pass the churchyard on the S side. The water enters the basin at the W end where there is a natural spring within a cave and an irregular arrangement of dressed and rough-dressed sections of stone; these presumably relate to a former built structure associated with the well.
Listed for its special interest as an early modern well basin associated with the C6 St Dyfnog.
Other nearby listed buildings