This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1608 / 53°9'39"N
Longitude: -3.3718 / 3°22'18"W
OS Eastings: 308376
OS Northings: 363513
OS Grid: SJ083635
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.4X0L
Mapcode Global: WH772.5TM6
Entry Name: Bridge at Llanrhaeadr Hall
Listing Date: 29 November 1999
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 22696
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Spanning a ditch at the end of a metalled drive at the entrance of the agricultural and servce court which formerly served Llanrhaeadr Hall.
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Bridge built c1771 to carry the lane serving the service and agricultural court of Llanrhaeadr Hall over a ditch or haha which surrounds the site. The Hall's associated service buildings were rebuilt by Richard Parry, High Sheriff of Denbighshire in 1775, and an extensive landscaping scheme devised for the park by William Emes was partially or wholly carried out. Of this the encompassing haha survives largely intact and the bridge was clearly associated with it from the first.
Single-span road bridge of limestone rubble construction, approximately 16m long. The bridge has a pronounced humped carriageway and uncoped rubble parapets, splayed at the approaches. Small culvert openings to N and S sides, the latter with a small segmental arch advanced slightly in front of the parapet plane.
Listed for its special interest as a late C18 road bridge associated with the 1770s remodelling of Llanrhaeadr Hall and its outbuildings.
Group value with other listed items at Llanrhaeadr Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings