This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1553 / 53°9'19"N
Longitude: -3.4528 / 3°27'10"W
OS Eastings: 302949
OS Northings: 363004
OS Grid: SJ029630
Mapcode National: GBR 6L.57R7
Mapcode Global: WH65W.XYZG
Entry Name: Peniel Chapel and Manse
Listing Date: 29 November 1999
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 22701
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the north-western boundary of the community, set back at right-angles to the road behind a partly-railed, metalled forecourt.
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Non-conformist chapel founded in 1837 and rebuilt in its present form in 1866.
Rectangular chapel with adjoining manse at right-angles to the E. Of rubble construction, the main faces of uncoursed, dressed limestone blocks, with finely-tooled limestone quoins and dressings. Slate roofs, that to the chapel with plain C20 bargeboards; oversailing verges with curved, exposed purlin ends. The gabled facade is symmetrical with tall paired windows to the centre and flanking entrances, all with round-arched heads. The windows have 15-pane recessed, unhorned sashes with projecting stone sills; the entrances have recessed 4-panel double doors with segmental glazed fanlights. Central arched dedication plaque above the windows, with dedication inscription in Welsh and the dates 1837 and 1866; plain ocular vent in the gable apex. Two arched, 15-pane windows to the rendered rear (N) gable; C20 slated brick lean-to to the rubble W side.
The 2-storey manse is set back to the R. C20 4-panel part-glazed door to the L, with original 12-pane unhorned sash windows to both floors to the R, that to the ground floor with segmental arch; projecting stone sills. Plain chimney to stuccoed road-facing gable end. Set into this is a VR post box. Modern 3-pane windows to the rear.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed for its special interest as a mid-Victorian rural chapel retaining good external character.
Group value with the adjacent telephone kiosk.
Other nearby listed buildings