This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6926 / 52°41'33"N
Longitude: -3.8067 / 3°48'24"W
OS Eastings: 277987
OS Northings: 312076
OS Grid: SH779120
Mapcode National: GBR 94.3FC8
Mapcode Global: WH681.HLH4
Entry Name: Ratgoed Hall
Listing Date: 6 December 1999
Last Amended: 6 December 1999
Source ID: 22711
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands in its own well-planted grounds in the middle Ratgoed valley, and on a platform above the river, and was formerly the centre of a small slate-quarrying community. The stables lie to
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built as a gentry dwelling, probably by H N Hughes, former shipowner, who supported the expansion of slate exploitation in the valley, and built a chapel and manse for a resident minister for the community. The house is probably of the 1860-1870 period, and was extended to the rear shortly after.
Built of regularly coursed slate between rusticated end quoins. Two storeys and a cellar. Three window bays. A central 4-panelled door set to a frame with a moulded architrave behind a dominant rusticated and quoined segmental arch flush with the facade, and springing from a chamfered plinth. To each side bay, 12-pane sash windows, now replaced with late C20 timber pseudo-sashes, but an original 12-pane sash window over the door. Boxed eaves. The left gable end return, overlooking the valley, has a canted bay window, with steps to the garden. Later rear extension with a lean-to roof at the N end contains the kitchen and services.
Not accessible at the time of inspection.
Included as an unusually ambitious quarry owner's mansion set in a small community, and one noted for the inventiveness of the use of slate to articulate a simple facade; a significant relic of the slate industry in this valley.
Other nearby listed buildings