This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6801 / 52°40'48"N
Longitude: -3.8133 / 3°48'47"W
OS Eastings: 277511
OS Northings: 310703
OS Grid: SH775107
Mapcode National: GBR 93.4CR6
Mapcode Global: WH681.DWDQ
Entry Name: Cymerau Cottages
Listing Date: 6 December 1999
Last Amended: 6 December 1999
Source ID: 22712
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The row of 4 cottages is set back from the track at the S end of the road running up Cwm Ratcoed, and backs on to Cymerau Quarry.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Cymerau was a farm of "5.16.0 acres" (c2.35ha), owned by Hugh Jones in 1838. Following upon a lease of 1853, Cymerau Quarries were opened by H N Hughes, and later operated as Hughes and Nephew, cottages being built for quarry workers in the mid-late C19. The quarry ceased trading after 1933.
No 1 is severely altered, with C20 uPVC windows and door in the original openings.
Included as one of a row of slate quarrymen's cottages, one of the few remaining rows of such cottages erected at the height of the prosperity of quarrying, probably in the 1860-70's, and as such, an interesting survival of a major industry in the Corris area.
Other nearby listed buildings