This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6219 / 52°37'18"N
Longitude: -3.8493 / 3°50'57"W
OS Eastings: 274907
OS Northings: 304289
OS Grid: SH749042
Mapcode National: GBR 92.7WDB
Mapcode Global: WH578.VC59
Entry Name: Neuadd Bentref
Listing Date: 6 December 1999
Last Amended: 6 December 1999
Source ID: 22719
Building Class: Education
Location: The building stands back behind the former playground, in the centre of the hamlet of Pantperthog.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The building was built in 1902 for the School Board of Towyn and Pennal. Extended in the 1960s to the rear.
Built of coursed slate, with terracotta quoins and dressings, slate roof with perforated crest ridge tiles. The building is on a simple T plan, giving a symmetrical front with a central wide gable having two sash windows, the upper sash only divided into 6 panes, set in dressed opening with joggled radial lintel voussoirs and a moulded cornice. Above, a terracotta plaque with a corniced pediment and side scrolls, reading in raised lettering: SCHOOL BOARD / OF / TOWYN & PENNAL, and in the pediment, the date 1902. To either side, lean-to entrance porches with half-glazed doors at the outer ends. The continuous classroom block at the back is of 3 bays, with large round-headed 4-light windows, small-paned above the 2 transoms in the head. The roof extends to the right over a small bellcote on cut brackets. At the centre, a small but finely detailed cupola with square baluster corners carrying a square ogee dome. The base of the cupola is clad with painted lead with diagonal lead rolls. Brass benchmark G2569. The building has been extended at the rear with a kitchen and lean-to WCs.
The interior is ceiled at collar level, leaving exposed trusses at the head of the two glazed cross partitions.
Included as a well designed village school with good detail using high quality materials.
Other nearby listed buildings