This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.675 / 51°40'30"N
Longitude: -4.9118 / 4°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 198770
OS Northings: 201374
OS Grid: SM987013
Mapcode National: GBR G8.WGCN
Mapcode Global: VH1S6.T568
Entry Name: Gates and railings at Mount Pleasant Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 6 December 1999
Last Amended: 29 July 2005
Source ID: 22765
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Chapel is near the centre of Pembroke, set back from the N side of East Back and near its E junction with Main Street. Gates and railings situated on street line at entry to chapel forecourt.
Community: Pembroke (Penfro)
Built-Up Area: Pembroke
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gates and railings to former Baptist Chapel, installed 1868, the ironwork by the Coalbrookdale foundry, Shropshire. The gates date from the enlargement of the forecourt to the previous chapel of 1859-60. This was designed by J. Cooper of Pembroke Dock, the rebuilt chapel of 1877-8 was by the Rev. Thomas Thomas.
Gates and railings, Pembrokeshire grey limestone piers and low wall with cast-iron railings and gates. Centre entry with two big tooled stone octagonal piers. raised plinths, plain capitals, chamfered on lower course, and with octagonal pyramid capstones. Big ornate double gates for vehicular access with spearhead rails, twisted standards and raised knops at tops, mid-height and bottoms of standards. Below mid-rail open-work Gothic tracery and bottom rail of cusped vesicas. Each side similar standards with spearheads over rock-faced stone coped low walls.
Included as one of the best examples of ornate Victorian Gothic cast-iron work in the area, and for group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings