This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5646 / 51°33'52"N
Longitude: -4.2706 / 4°16'13"W
OS Eastings: 242718
OS Northings: 187527
OS Grid: SS427875
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.N9KZ
Mapcode Global: VH3MV.XXPY
Entry Name: U-plan ranges at Great Pitton Farmyard
Listing Date: 19 January 2000
Last Amended: 19 January 2000
Source ID: 22784
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Attached to the south (SE) of Great Pitton farmhouse. Partly open to farm lane on east side; part of farmyard now walled off as a domestic garden.
Community: Rhossili (Rhosili)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A mixed farmyard of the late C18 or early C19 attached to Great Pitton Farmhouse. The farmhouse has existed since at least the C17. In c.1780 Great Pitton was part of the estate of George Venables, 2nd Baron Vernon of Briton Ferry. In 1845 it is recorded as the tenancy of George Beynon in the estate of Sir Josiah Guest. In the early C19 Wesleyan Methodist services were held in a barn in this farmyard.
The farmyard buildings consist of a pair of barns to the south-west side, a byre range to the north-east, and a stable range to the south-east. Local axe-dressed masonry with mostly slate roofs and tile ridges. The buildings are painted white on the side facing the farmyard.
The left barn (seen from the farmyard) is a threshing barn which retains its great doorway on the farmyard side with a replaced sliding door, but the great doorway on the rear is bricked up apart from a reduced doorway. Four tall slit ventilators, one at each corner. The right barn has modern doors under a timber lintel at rear and has recently been re-roofed; two rooflights and a metal flue to the rear.
The stable building is partly tucked behind the adjacent barn with a small gap between. The rear slope is roofed in asbestos. Door and two windows and two slit ventilators on the side facing the farmyard; door and window and a later asbestos-roofed cartshed to the rear. To the east of the stable is a shed (post-1878) with a plain face to the farmyard, informal buildings to the rear, which has been opened on the east side.
The left building of the byre range (seen from the farmyard) has a door to the right and a small window to its loft. The right building is lower and has served as two cartsheds as well as a byre, with a very wide double opening on the farmyard side and a central round stone pier. The left opening has been partly walled up. The interior has feeding racks and floor drainage.
A well-preserved set of farmyard buildings in association with (and for group value with) a listed farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings