This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6148 / 51°36'53"N
Longitude: -3.8029 / 3°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 275269
OS Northings: 192203
OS Grid: SS752922
Mapcode National: GBR H3.9D4X
Mapcode Global: VH5GV.1NFY
Entry Name: Footbridge and walls of Baglan brook around churchyard of St Catharine
Listing Date: 31 January 2000
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 22810
Building Class: Miscellaneous
Location: On the E and SW sides of the churchyard
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Port Talbot
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Structural details suggest that the bridge was built in the period 1875-82, contemporary with the church and to the design of John Prichard. Cast iron railings are dated 1882.
The footbridge is built of coursed rock-faced stone and has a single chamfered segmental arch over the stream. The parapets have battered outer faces, ashlar saddleback copings and terminate in big square piers with pyramidal caps. On the outer side are double wooden gates with reeded muntins, open panels and fleur-de-lys cast iron cresting.
The bridge spans the Baglan brook which runs through a stone-lined channel with rock-faced stone walls and plain iron railings facing the road cast by W. Davies of Briton Ferry and dated 1882, and enters a culvert at the S end below Church Road through a segmental-headed arch. The churchyard wall returns along the SW side, facing Church Road, with cast iron railings on a dwarf wall and intermediate stone piers with saddleback copings. On the N side of the bridge is a revetment wall abutting the stone-lined stream at right angles, which retains the upper part of the churchyard. The boundary wall has a short return at the N end, comprising a concave wall with 2 square dressed stone piers and double cast iron gates.
Listed for group value with the church of St Catharine and the ruins of St Baglan.
Other nearby listed buildings