This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5309 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -3.2975 / 3°17'51"W
OS Eastings: 310091
OS Northings: 182126
OS Grid: ST100821
Mapcode National: GBR HS.GTG7
Mapcode Global: VH6DY.SSL9
Entry Name: Horeb Presbyterian Church including attached hall to right
Listing Date: 31 January 2000
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 22821
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the hamlet of Pen-y-garn NW of Pentyrch, on the hillside at the junction with Heol Goch, the road to Gwaeold-y-garth, and set in a walled graveyard.
Built-Up Area: Pentyrch
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Calvinistic Methodist chapel built 1838, rebuilt 1862.
Plain chapel with unusual 4-window gable-end facade and lower hall wing. Cement rendered with Welsh slate roof with overhanging eaves. Main S facing frontage has 4 identical round-headed gallery windows with multipane and margin glazing incorporating some coloured glass, a blind roundel in the apex and a small date plaque at centre, and to ground floor 2 doorways with boarded doors and margin glazed fanlights. Stepped back the 3-bay hall range has 9/4 pane sashes and a cambered headed doorway. Rear chapel elevation has a simple moulded cornice and 4 rectangular margin-glazed windows to each floor.
3- sided gallery with panelled front, supported on 5 cast-iron columns with deep panelled coving, the panelled pews with moulded ends long and curved round the angles. Woodwork is all in light toned grained paintwork. On the ground floor the panelled pews have doors; those to sides face inwards, not angled, with panelled dado. Panelled set fawr, panelled pulpit with simple bench with further panelling to rear rising to a scrolled pediment. Small vestibules with doorcases with part-glazed doors with margin glazing provide access to ground floor at preacher's end and gallery. Part scored render.
Listed as a mid C19 chapel retaining much of its original appearance and in particular a finely panelled and pewed interior.
Other nearby listed buildings