History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Well in Robin's Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Reynoldston, Swansea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5885 / 51°35'18"N

Longitude: -4.1947 / 4°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 248052

OS Northings: 190026

OS Grid: SS480900

Mapcode National: GBR GS.1ZHN

Mapcode Global: VH3MX.7BRK

Entry Name: Well in Robin's Lane

Listing Date: 10 February 2000

Last Amended: 10 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22851

Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage

Location: At east side of lane, about 100 m south of the Post Office.

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Reynoldston

Community: Reynoldston

Locality: Reynoldston Village

Built-Up Area: Reynoldston

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Reynoldston

History

A C19 well head structure formed at an ancient village well site; known, in conformity with the dedication of the church, as St. George's well. It was referred to in 1811. This was one of two wells anciently providing water to the villagers of Reynoldston. The covering of the supply of water was probably formed for reasons of hygiene, as in the case of a similar ancient well in the centre of the adjacent parish of Llangennith. The well was a major water supply to the village. The water is said to be very pure, and was recently (1998) said still to be used occasionally by local people.

Exterior

The water now issues from a pipe protected by two piers of local sandstone masonry with a lintel and a rough coping of upright stones. The whole wellhead structure is about 1.5 metres wide and tall. The adjacent pond does not feed this well.

Reasons for Listing

Included for historic interest as an ancient village water supply point, the well head an example of C19 measures to protect public health.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St George
    At the centre of the village of Reynoldston.
  • II Stouthall Ice House
    In woods to south east of Stouthall mansion, close to the private road to the house.
  • II* Stouthall
    At north side of the B4118 1km west of Little Reynoldston, standing in parkland.
  • II Providence Baptist Chapel and attached Manse
    Narrow roadside site at north side of the A4118 in the centre of Knelston village, 4km north of Port
  • II Home Farm Cartshed and Loft
    At the north-west of the group of Home Farm buildings beside the A4118 and west of the turning to Pe
  • II North Range at Home Farm Barns
    150m west of Home Farmhouse at the west side of the junction of the minor road from Penrice church t
  • II Home Farm Barns
    150m west of Home Farmhouse at the west side of the junction of the minor road from Penrice church t
  • II Fairy Hill House
    In its own grounds W of a minor road between Reynoldston and Stembridge (about 500m east of Burry Gr

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.