History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable at Neath Canal Depot

A Grade II Listed Building in Tonna, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6743 / 51°40'27"N

Longitude: -3.781 / 3°46'51"W

OS Eastings: 276948

OS Northings: 198783

OS Grid: SS769987

Mapcode National: GBR H3.5RPN

Mapcode Global: VH5GN.F50T

Entry Name: Stable at Neath Canal Depot

Listing Date: 25 February 2000

Last Amended: 25 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22865

Building Class: Transport

Location: On the E side and in the garden of Lock House on the S side of the Neath Canal.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Community: Tonna

Community: Tonna

Locality: Neath Canal Depot

Built-Up Area: Neath

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Neath

History

The Neath Canal was begun in 1791 and opened in 1794. Traffic ceased in 1921. The stable was probably built in the late C18 in conjunction with Lock House and is shown on the Llantwit-juxta-Neath Tithe map of 1846. A wing was added to the building in the third quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1877 Ordnance Survey.

Exterior

The main range is at right angles to the canal, with its S gable end built into the bank, and is built of whitewashed rubble stone and slate roof, which has skylights to the E slope. The lower gable end has a boarded loft door. Facing a yard on the W side are 2 segmental-headed doorways, a loft opening below the eaves now infilled with brick incorporating pigeon holes, and a lower gabled wing at right angles towards the rear built into the bank. This wing has 4 doorways under lintels with replaced doors facing the yard on its N side. On the E side is an added lean-to at the N end, a boarded opening upper L of centre and a doorway lower L under a wooden lintel. In the S gable end is a loft doorway with wooden lintel and replaced door opening to the higher ground on this side.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its industrial archaeological interest as an integral component of the most complete depot of any of the South Wales canals.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lock and overbridge at Neath Canal Depot
    On the N side of Lock House at the foot of Lock Hill.
  • II Lock House
    On the S side of the Neath Canal facing the lock. The house backs on to and stands at the foot of Lock Hill on the N side of Henfaes Road.
  • II Wood seasoning shed & saw pit at Neath Canal Depot
    On the N side of the Neath Canal opposite Lock House and facing a small yard.
  • II Workshop, store and smithy at Neath Canal Depot
    On the N side of the Neath Canal almost opposite Lock House and facing a small yard on the E side.
  • II Tyn yr Heol
    Set back from the main B4434 through the village 0.7km SW of Tonna church. In its own grounds with rubble boundary wall and stone gate-piers to the drive.
  • II Nazareth Chapel
    On the S side of the main B4434 through the village on the E side of the junction with School Road, and set back from the main road behind a railed forecourt.
  • II Church of St Anne
    Set back on the S side of the main B4434 through the village.
  • II Aberdulais Viaduct
    Spanning the River Neath S of the Aberdulais Aqueduct and N of Dulais Fach Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.