History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Neath, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6743 / 51°40'27"N

Longitude: -3.7806 / 3°46'50"W

OS Eastings: 276970

OS Northings: 198786

OS Grid: SS769987

Mapcode National: GBR H3.5RRV

Mapcode Global: VH5GN.F55S

Entry Name: Lock House

Listing Date: 25 February 2000

Last Amended: 25 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22867

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the S side of the Neath Canal facing the lock. The house backs on to and stands at the foot of Lock Hill on the N side of Henfaes Road.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Community: Tonna

Community: Tonna

Locality: Neath Canal Depot

Built-Up Area: Neath

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Neath

History

The Neath Canal was begun in 1791 and opened in 1794. Traffic ceased in 1921. The house was probably built in the last decade of the C18 and is first shown on the Llantwit-juxta-Neath Tithe map of 1846, where it is shown as a lock-keeper's house. In the third quarter of the C19 it was extended to create a double-depth plan, the arrangement shown on the 1870s Ordnance Survey.

Exterior

A 2-storey, double-depth house with roughcast walls painted white and late C19 plate glass sash windows, slate roofs and roughcast end stacks. The twin-gabled main entrance is on the W side facing the bottom of the steep track from the village. It has a central boarded door with overlight and windows lower L and R. Facing the canal the house is 2-window. The opposite S wall has a single window in each storey. The rear faces a yard on the E side has a half-lit door to the L and added low gabled porch to the R with boarded door and a central replaced window to the centre. The upper storey has 2 sash windows.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its industrial archaeological interest as an integral component of the most complete depot of any of the South Wales canals.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.