This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6682 / 51°40'5"N
Longitude: -3.7675 / 3°46'3"W
OS Eastings: 277860
OS Northings: 198085
OS Grid: SS778980
Mapcode National: GBR H4.631Q
Mapcode Global: VH5GN.NB3H
Entry Name: Mosshouse Wood Cascade
Listing Date: 25 February 2000
Last Amended: 25 February 2000
Source ID: 22870
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the NE side of the Gnoll Estate E of Mosshouse Wood reservoir.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Locality: Gnoll Estate
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The extensive park and grounds at the Gnoll were laid out for Sir Humphrey Mackworth in 1724-7 and were centred upon fish ponds (that also supplied water to his copper works) and cascades. The informal upper cascade in Mosshouse Wood was added in the 1740s by an unknown designer, working for Herbert Mackworth. The grotto beside the cascade was also added at this time. Follies were later added in the 1780s by Sir Herbert Mackworth, which included a gazebo above the grotto and the Ivy Tower. The late C18 was the heyday of the Gnoll grounds, although it was revived in the C19 by the Grant family and Charles Evan Thomas. The latter came to an agreement with Neath Corporation for the building of Mosshouse Wood reservoir, which is dated 1889. The estate was acquired by the local authority in 1923. The house was demolished in 1957. The cascade was restored in 1984-5.
Comprising a series of cascades descending a steep ravine approximately 200m in length. At the top is a restored rubble stone cairn over which the water descends fed from a pipe taking water from a stream higher up. The cascades are partly cut from bedrock and partly constructed of stone blocks laid dry. At the bottom is a rustic footbridge with a segmental arch of thin voussoirs and a grass-covered deck.
Listed, notwithstanding restoration, as a prominent man-made feature of an important landscape garden, and for group value with the adjacent grotto.
Other nearby listed buildings