This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6 / 51°36'0"N
Longitude: -4.2702 / 4°16'12"W
OS Eastings: 242862
OS Northings: 191464
OS Grid: SS428914
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.L3PD
Mapcode Global: VH3MV.X1VQ
Entry Name: Well opposite St Cenydd's Church
Listing Date: 3 March 2000
Last Amended: 3 March 2000
Source ID: 22880
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Across the road opposite the lychgate of St Cenydd's Church.
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton (Llangynydd, Llanmadog a Cheriton)
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton
Locality: Llangennith village
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A well probably of greater age than St Cenydd's church. It is illustrated as it was before C19 alteration in J D Davies' History of West Gower. Davies' drawing shows a 'rude incised cross within a square' carved on a capstone. The capstone he regarded as early Christian, not later than the C8.
The well-head structure of two stone piers and a lintel plus upright copings was constructed c.1880 in response to a typhoid outbreak (very similar to a well at Reynoldston). The water pipe was covered in order to protect it from fouling by animals. The capstone in Davies' drawing is now missing, unless built into the later well-head.
A public well consisting of a water channel between kerbstones, formed in the local conglomerate sandstone. The water now issues from two points, one of which is covered by a C19 well-head. C19 circular drain grating at the lower end of the channel.
An ancient 'holy well' little altered since the Middle Ages, listed also for group value with St Cenydd's Church.
Other nearby listed buildings