This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6 / 51°35'59"N
Longitude: -4.2702 / 4°16'12"W
OS Eastings: 242865
OS Northings: 191454
OS Grid: SS428914
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.L3PF
Mapcode Global: VH3MV.X1WT
Entry Name: St Cenydd's Lychgate
Listing Date: 3 March 2000
Last Amended: 3 March 2000
Source ID: 22886
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At the north entrance to St Cenydd's churchyard, Llangennith
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton (Llangynydd, Llanmadog a Cheriton)
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton
Locality: Llangennith village
Traditional County: Glamorgan
St Cenydd's lychgate was donated to the church in 1903, and contains later gate-panel carvings by a local craftsman, W H Melling.
Timber-framed lychgate to the north west of the churchyard, with double timber gates.
The structure stands on four corner-posts with large curved braces to the tie-beams. Large verge overhang carried on curved brackets and large, generously scalloped bargeboards to front and rear. Low pitched slated roof with tile ridge. Quatrefoil-pierced fascias above tie-beams front and rear. Three open lights each side with gothic tracery and cinquefoil scalloping. Rendered panels below the side lights, a shallow seat each side, stone plinths.
The gates, added later, have posts carved with animals and panels carved with scenes of the lives of St Cenydd and St David. Stone paving from gates to road.
Listed as the only known lychgate at a Gower churchyard, picturesquely designed and of group value with St Cenydd's chuch.
Other nearby listed buildings