This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2281 / 53°13'41"N
Longitude: -4.0827 / 4°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 261070
OS Northings: 372139
OS Grid: SH610721
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.0QQ7
Mapcode Global: WH548.8433
Entry Name: Bridge at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen (partly in Llandygai community)
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22931
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen where it flows into the sea approximately 120m east of Capel Ogwen; carries the drive from Port Lodge to Capel Ogwen; remains of small stone-paved wharf on east
Locality: Penrhyn Park
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1821 as part of the expansion of Penrhyn Park beyond the east bank of the Afon Ogwen in association with the erection of the new park wall to Penrhyn Castle. The river here forms the boundaries between Llanllechid and Llandygai communities.
Constructed of cast-iron with rubblestone abutments terminating in square corner piers of more regularly coursed blocks, those on eastern bank extending beyond retaining riverbank wall into the river itself, those to west on top of retaining wall. Bridge itself is of single span with wide segmental arch made up of 3 cast-iron girders and spandrels with criss-cross pattern to girders and simple diamond shapes of diminishing size to spandrels. Simple iron handrail with stick balusters; shaped bracing on south side. Plate at road level on north is superscribed "CAST AT PENYDARAN IRONWORKS GLAMORGANSHIRE MDCCCXXI".
Listed at II*as an elegantly designed cast-iron bridge, one of the earliest structures in the early C19 parkland landcape of Penrhyn Park and an early example generally of a cast-iron bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings