This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1537 / 53°9'13"N
Longitude: -4.0416 / 4°2'29"W
OS Eastings: 263575
OS Northings: 363792
OS Grid: SH635637
Mapcode National: GBR 5T.58QP
Mapcode Global: WH54G.WZLN
Entry Name: Capel Bethel
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22943
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on eastern side of the A 5 at southern end of Tyn-y-maes; low rubblestone wall to front with slate coping and plain iron railings has slightly recessed entrance with square piers and iron gat
Town: Bethesda, Bangor
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Methodist chapel probably erected c1840, although date "1869" inscribed in door lintel to rear suggests that further work was carried out at this time. Sunday School/vestry and domestic accommodation to rear for visiting preacher, which also included stable with hayloft above, largely superseded by the building of the adjoining manse (Ty Ffrancon House) in the 1880s. The chapel was disused at time of Survey with virtually all of its fittings and furnishings gone and used as a store/studio in association with Ty Ffrancon House.
Former Methodist chapel in simple Gothick style with attached accommodation at rear. Stuccoed rubblestone with short hipped slate roof to chapel and gable-ended roof abutting to rear. Chapel has central hip-roofed porch with inner panelled double doors under fanlight with intersecting Gothick glazing bars, flanked by round-arched 25-paned sashes with intersecting Gothick glazing bars to heads; two 30-paned sashes to each return, all windows with slate cills. 2-storey domestic accommodation at rear entered through late C20 panelled door in left return has small 12-paned sash on each floor to this side; central ridge stack. Former hayloft above stable entered through plank door in rear gable end (the building is set into the steep bank behind) has date "1869" scratched into slate lintel.
Virtually all the fittings and furnishings have been stripped out and the former raking floor raised to an even level throughout, but the ribbed and boarded flat ceiling with pendants to ventilators, plaster cornice and plastered walls with boarded dado panelling survive, along with the internal entrance lobby; remains of set fawr enclosure and a couple of pews at opposite end. Former domestic accommodation at rear has fireplace with large slate slab jambs and lintel and staircase with slender turned balusters.
Included, notwithstanding the removal of the great majority of its fittings and furnishings, as an externally essentially unaltered mid-C19 chapel retaining its original Gothick fenestration and other detailing; strong group value with Ty Ffrancon House adjoining.
Other nearby listed buildings