Halfway Bridge (partly in Llandygai community)
A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllechid, Gwynedd
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1995 / 53°11'58"N
Longitude: -4.0856 / 4°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 260779
OS Northings: 368967
OS Grid: SH607689
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.2J08
Mapcode Global: WH548.6VQ2
Entry Name: Halfway Bridge (partly in Llandygai community)
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22953
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the Afon Ogwen on a sharp bend of the A 5 approximately 2.5km north of Bethesda near the junction with the minor road to Tregarth.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably built c1825 in conjunction with the turnpiking of Thonmas Telford's London to Holyhead road between 1815 and 1830. The Afon Ogwen here forms the community boundary with Llandygai.
Roughly coursed rubblestone with stone-on-edge coping to rebuilt parapet and string course. Single wide segmental arch with roughly shaped voussoirs but no arch-ring.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a good early C19 road bridge of impressive single span, one of several bridges built or rebuilt as part of improving transport links in this area in the late C18 and early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings
Halfway Bridge (partly in Llanllechid community)
Spanning the Afon Ogwen on a sharp bend of the A 5 approximately 2.5km north of Bethesda near the ju
Situated in isolated rural position in wooded grounds reached by a long track running off the east s
Outbuildings at Pandy Newydd
Situated directly to the east of Pandy Newydd.
Hay Barn at Dinas
Located to the east of Pen Dinas Farmhouse; cobbled yard between it and the cowhouse/stables directl
Outbuildings at Cochwillan
L-shaped range of outbuildings to rear (south) of Cochwillan, south range with cobbling in front of
Cowhouse/Stables at Dinas
Located immediately to the east of Pen Dinas Farmhouse; cobbled yards between it and the farmhouse a
Situated in low-lying pasture fields at end of short track off the minor road between Bethesda and T
Situated in roadside position on minor road running roughly parallel with the Afon Ogwen to north-ea