This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1989 / 53°11'56"N
Longitude: -4.081 / 4°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 261086
OS Northings: 368891
OS Grid: SH610688
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.2K4W
Mapcode Global: WH548.8VXJ
Entry Name: Pandy Newydd
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22954
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in isolated rural position in wooded grounds reached by a long track running off the east side of the A5 south of Halfway Bridge.
Town: Llanllechid, Bangor
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built on a virgin site in 1865, possibly by the Bangor diocesan architect, Henry Kennedy, as the rectory for Llanllechid church; now a private house.
Former rectory in simple high Victorian Gothic style. 2-storey and attic double-depth plan comprising parallel gable-ended ranges with valley between. Regularly coursed and dressed rubblestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings; slate roofs with coped verges on carved kneelers. Symmetrical entrance range of 1:2:1 bays, centre bays forming full-height gabled break; first floor windows mullioned and transomed, those to gable with simple dripmould; 2-light mullion window to attic of gable and 5-light mullioned and transomed windows on ground floor; round-headed entrance arch in gable has inner panelled door. Left return of entrance range has external lateral stack with twin shafts and return wall of parallel range has 3-light mullioned and transomed window on ground floor, cross-window to first floor and tall narrow ventilation slit to attic. Datestone "1865" to junction between ranges concealed by creeper at time of Survey.
Virtually unaltered high Victorian interior with encaustic tile floor in hall; 4-panel doors and panelled window shutters throughout. Original moulded ceiling cornices and fireplaces in principal ground-floor rooms; small cast-iron grates in simple slate surrounds on first floor. Imposing staircase with spiked pyramidal finials to carved newels.
Included as an essentially unaltered large high Victorian rectory in simple but well-handled Gothic style, retaining much of its original internal and external detail.
Other nearby listed buildings