This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2279 / 53°13'40"N
Longitude: -4.0806 / 4°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 261210
OS Northings: 372110
OS Grid: SH612721
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.0R81
Mapcode Global: WH548.9439
Entry Name: Estate Kennels
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22955
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated in the far north-east corner of Penrhyn Park near Capel Ogwen on drive-way approximately 150m east of the bridge at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen.
Locality: Penrhyn Park
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map, these estate kennels were probably recently constructed at this time, probably for the second Baron Penrhyn, George Sholto Gordon Douglas-Pennant, who succeeded to the estate in 1886 and, like his father before him, was a keen huntsman.
Long thin rectangular building with projecting wings at each end. The walls are entirely slate hung; slate roof, hipped to projecting wings. Central range houses 5 individual kennels consisting of internal accommodation and separate pens divided by cross-walls and low slate-coped brick walls to front topped, like the cross-walls, by high hooped iron railings, accessed through 5 separate entrances; to rear wall of the internal accommodation each kennel is served by its own door and window. Projecting wings have 3-light pivot-hung windows to outer returns and rocket-shaped metal flues to ridges; inserted stable door in front wall of left wing; further iron-railed enclosure abuts the right wing.
Included as a well-preserved set of late C19 estate kennels making good use of the locally-quarried slate and important for showing the high level of welfare considered necessary by the Penrhyn Estate for its most-favoured dogs.
Other nearby listed buildings