History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glan-y-mor-isaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllechid, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.23 / 53°13'47"N

Longitude: -4.0694 / 4°4'9"W

OS Eastings: 261959

OS Northings: 372324

OS Grid: SH619723

Mapcode National: GBR 5S.0FY7

Mapcode Global: WH548.G2DN

Entry Name: Glan-y-mor-isaf

Listing Date: 9 March 2000

Last Amended: 9 March 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22965

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in low-lying pasture fields close to shore near end of track running eastwards from road running from former old Bangor-Conwy road past Aber-Ogwen to join the shore east of the mouth of the A

County: Gwynedd

Town: Talybont, Bangor

Community: Llanllechid

Community: Llanllechid

Locality: Glan-y-mor-isaf

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanllechid

History

Built in 1846 as the farmhouse of the model farm built by the Penrhyn Estate at Glan-y-mor-isaf. This farmstead is one of the earliest built by the estate as part of the widespread improvements to its agricultural land following the succession of Edward Douglas-Pennant in 1840.

Exterior

2-storey, L-plan building with lower wing attached to north gable end of east range. Roughly coursed rubblestone with partial slate hanging on first floor of both main ranges; slate roofs, slightly stepped to centre of east range, with overhanging verges and carved purlins to both main ranges and slate coping to lower wing. Entrances in both main ranges, south range with 6-panel door in gabled stone porch with datestone "1846" and another 6-panel door on right of east range, both doors with top panels glazed. East range has 2 gabled dormers breaking eaves, left with 4-paned sash, right with 2-light 12-paned casement divided by mullion, right dormer above door, left dormer above 4-paned sash window; similar fenestration to south range. Ridge stack to centre of east range has tall paired and rebated brick shafts with stepped capping; lower wing has window to front and integral end stack with stone base and brick shaft.

Interior

Interior not accessible at time of Survey.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an essentially unaltered and securely dated farmhouse at the heart of a mid-C19 model estate farm, one of the earliest established by the Penrhyn Estate as part of its major agricutural improvements in the period after c1840; as such it forms one of the prototypes for several other similar farms in the immediately surrounding area.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pigsties at Glan-y-mor-isaf
    Located directly to the north of the farmhouse.
  • II Farmbuildings at Glan-y-mor-isaf
    Located to east of the farmhouse around 2 cobbled yards; large C20 farmbuildings lie directly to the east and north and a large modern farm shed covers the majority of the western yard.
  • II Estate Kennels
    Situated in the far north-east corner of Penrhyn Park near Capel Ogwen on drive-way approximately 150m east of the bridge at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen.
  • II* Bridge at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen (partly in Llandygai community)
    Situated at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen where it flows into the sea approximately 120m east of Capel Ogwen; carries the drive from Port Lodge to Capel Ogwen; remains of small stone-paved wharf on east
  • II* Bridge at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen (partly in Llanllechid community)
    Situated at the mouth of the Afon Ogwen where it flows into the sea approximately 120m east of Capel Ogwen; carries the drive from Port Lodge to Capel Ogwen; remains of small stone-paved wharf on east
  • II Penrhyn Park boundary wall (partly in Llandygai community)
    Encloses the historic parkland of Penrhyn Castle to form Penrhyn Park.
  • II Tan-yr-allt Cottages
    Located on the south-east side of the former Bangor-Conwy road (now superseded by the A 55 running parallel to the north-west) between Tan-y-lon and Tai'r-meibion; low rubblestone wall to front with i
  • II Tan-yr-allt Cottages
    Located on the south-east side of the former Bangor-Conwy road (now superseded by the A 55 running parallel to the north-west) between Tan-y-lon and Tai'r-meibion; low rubblestone wall to front with i

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.