This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7796 / 51°46'46"N
Longitude: -2.8854 / 2°53'7"W
OS Eastings: 339014
OS Northings: 209363
OS Grid: SO390093
Mapcode National: GBR FC.Z0WV
Mapcode Global: VH79G.XJZM
Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse and the Old Rectory
Listing Date: 15 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 22980
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately N of Bryngwyn churchyard, Rectory Farm facing the road and backing onto the Old Rectory.
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Former Bryngwyn rectory, C17 to C18 original, now Rectory Farm, and addition partly of 1835 by Roger Evins of Abergavenny, now The Old Rectory. Apparently let as a farmhouse before 1835, when returned to use as rectory. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as occupied by the Rev. William Crawley, who was rector of Bryngwyn for 62 years from 1834, Archdeacon of Monmouth and Canon of Llandaff.
Two houses back-to-back, formerly joined.
Rectory Farmhouse: whitewashed rubble stone and slate roof with rendered ridge stack left of centre, very small right end stack. One storey and attic, four timber dormers on eaves, flat-headed each side and 2 gabled dormers to centre right. Ground floor half-glazed door and triple casement with timber lintel, between single storey outbuilding ranges running E. SE range, former bakery, has painted stone ridge stack at former E end, door and window in original part, then door in added left end. NE range has monopitch roof against garden wall, broader opening against house, to left, now window and door, and two windows. Rear is obscured by The Old Rectory. S end wall is rendered with C19 openings, 12-pane sash to loft, casement pair each side of tall glazed opening below, C20 glazing.
Old Rectory: taller than Rectory Farmhouse, whitewashed roughcast, minimally Tudor with coped shouldered S gable. Two hoodmoulded first floor windows, one blank, one 12-pane sash, C20 porch below. W garden front altered.
Rectory Farmhouse:Two rooms N of chimney, one room S, probably added. Main fireplace is infilled, chamfered beams with stepped hollow stops, over fireplace, 2 in room and one over partition. Remains of stone winding stair to right of fireplace. S end section has 19 fireplace. Single storey range at SE said to have been a bakery, has 2 bay roof with collar-truss. Main 3-bay roof with massive purlins, plank partition between rooms. Two-bay roof above sitting room, higher with big purlins.
Old Rectory: Not available for internal inspection.
Included as a well-preserved smaller C17 house, formerly the rectory, with early C19 parallel range added when reverted to a rectory following occupation as a farmhouse: unusual plan-form and building history.
Other nearby listed buildings