This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7749 / 51°46'29"N
Longitude: -2.8923 / 2°53'32"W
OS Eastings: 338534
OS Northings: 208847
OS Grid: SO385088
Mapcode National: GBR FB.ZC6H
Mapcode Global: VH79G.TNB6
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 15 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 22986
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on N side of old A 40 about 400m W of Croesbychan crossroads.
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Later C17 house of three units, back-to-back fireplaces with lobby entry. Marked on 1839 tithe map as Tie Newydd owned by James Hilton Ford esq, occupied by John Watkins, with 53 acres (21.5 hectares).
House, whitewashed rubble stone with red plain tiles to half-hipped roof and big corniced stone ridge stack with weathercoursing. Two storeys and attic, two small gabled dormers to E front, first floor 2 casement pair windows with 3-pane top-light and one shorter triple casement to right. Ground floor C20 triple window to left, two similar casement pairs with top-lights centre and right, aligned with windows above, half-glazed door between. C20 lean-to on S end wall with door to E. Rear has slate roofed single storey range attached with W whitewashed stack, door on S side. Main range to left has C20 metal window above and glazed door below. Tiny light to right at mid height. To right of single storey range, casement and casement pair to first floor, casement pair and pair with top light below.
Three-room plan, entrance passage N of chimney. Two beams in N room. Three massive beams on centre room, one over fireplace. Diagonal stops to chamfers. Stone winding stairs.
Listed as a well-preserved later C17 farmhouse with unusual three-unit lobby-entry plan and good surviving exterior and interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings