This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7713 / 51°46'16"N
Longitude: -2.9192 / 2°55'9"W
OS Eastings: 336669
OS Northings: 208472
OS Grid: SO366084
Mapcode National: GBR F9.ZQHG
Mapcode Global: VH79G.CQ2Z
Entry Name: Ffynnonau Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 22995
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated off drive to Clytha Castle, running S from old A40 from point some 300m E of Clytha Park gates.
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Farmhouse probably of later C17 with C18 lofted cross-wing, perhaps originally granary. A broken cast-iron fireback is dated WRE 1710. Marked on 1845 Tithe Map as owned by William Jones of Clytha Park, occupied by Watkin Williams, with 213 acres (86 hectares).
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs and small brick stacks. Two storeys, long main range with right end stack and ridge stack. Left end crosswing, slightly lower at ridge, with hipped roof to front, gable with brick stack to rear. Main range has 2 square 4-pane sashes under eaves to extreme left, over door (in angle to cross-wing) and big 3-light window with top-lights. Buttress added between door and window. To night is one tiny ground floor window. Further right, between the two stacks is eaves-breaking gabled dormer with casement pair and another big 3-light window with top-lights to ground floor. A timber lintel in wall to left may indicate a blocked window.
Cross-wing has tiny casement pair to ground floor right, in angle to main range, under substantial timber lintel of former larger opening. Casement pair under eaves to left. Gable end door with chamfered timber lintel, to right of added lean-to. Side wall has outside steps to eaves-breaking loft door under catslide roof. Similar roof to eaves-breaking casement-pair to left. Single storey addition on end wall.
Rear of main range has two square 6-pane sashes under eaves to right, over triple casement. Door to cross passage further right in angle to the single-storey rear addition. Left end, between chimneys has two small dormers above eaves, one flat one gabled, the latter over a triple casement.
Cross-passage from entry, 2 rooms to right. Heavily chamfered beams, with stepped hollow stops, 4 in kitchen. Fireplace renewed, it had stairs to one side, removed but sloping underside visible in end room. End room has 3 beams with smaller chamfer and stepped hollow stops. Plank doors.
Cross wing appears to have been added as grain loft, possibly C18, ground floor ceiling of 2 beams and three cross beams, chamfered with stepped hollow stops. Fireplace has iron range marked 'Herald'.
Listed as a substantial and well-preserved later C17 farmhouse with unusual plan.
Other nearby listed buildings