This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7774 / 51°46'38"N
Longitude: -2.9168 / 2°55'0"W
OS Eastings: 336844
OS Northings: 209143
OS Grid: SO368091
Mapcode National: GBR F9.ZC3F
Mapcode Global: VH79G.DLCB
Entry Name: Walled garden at Clytha Park
Listing Date: 15 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 22998
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated some 200m NE of Clytha Park to left of track to Chapel Farm
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Walled garden to Clytha Park, later C18, built for William Jones Sr of Clytha House, the predecessor to the present Clytha Park house which was built in 1824-8 for William Jones' nephew. Part of estate improvements of the late 1780s probably designed by John Davenport, who designed the Clytha Castle folly. Marked on 1845 tithe map.
Walled garden, irregular plan of straight N wall and E and W walls running slightly inwards to curved S wall. Tudor arched entries on N and SE sides. Red brick walls with splayed base, buttress piers, and stone flat coping. Bricks laid one course of headers to 3 of stretchers. Lean-to stone outbuilding against outside N wall, greenhouse against inside N wall.
Included as a substantial and impressively walled garden.
Other nearby listed buildings