History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Trallong, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.997 / 51°59'49"N

Longitude: -3.541 / 3°32'27"W

OS Eastings: 294295

OS Northings: 234298

OS Grid: SN942342

Mapcode National: GBR YH.J69N

Mapcode Global: VH5F7.K2VD

Entry Name: Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 21 March 2000

Last Amended: 27 May 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23031

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated approximately 200m W of the centre of Llanfihangel Nant Bran and some 150m N of the bridge over the Nant Bran.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Trallong

Community: Trallong

Locality: Llanfihangel Nant Bran

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Pentre-b√Ęch

History

Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1865, replacing one of 1811. Interior removed since listing in 2000.

Exterior

Chapel, whitewashed render with slate eaves roof. Long wall facade with long arched window each side of centre door in added porch. Plaque on left gable end 'Bethel Capel Trefnyddion Calfinaidd ...1865'. Windows are small-paned sashes with intersecting tracery in heads. Painted stone sills. Porch has fretted bargeboards, board door and overlight. Two similar windows in left end wall with date plaque in gable. Whitewashed rubble rear with two cambered-headed 12-pane sashes, and stone voussoirs. To right of front is added lower lofted vestry building in whitewashed rubble stone with single first floor window and two board doors below with brick heads.

Interior

The interior has been stripped out since 2000. It was originally without galleries, with pews aligned on end-wall pulpit.

Reasons for Listing

Included despite loss of the interior for its special architectural interest as a rural chapel with small-paned windows of late Georgian type.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.