This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6111 / 51°36'39"N
Longitude: -2.7687 / 2°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 346870
OS Northings: 190531
OS Grid: ST468905
Mapcode National: GBR JH.9N9J
Mapcode Global: VH7B9.YRPT
Entry Name: Walker Memorial Lychgate at the Church of St Stephen and St Tathan
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 29 March 2000
Source ID: 23035
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: At the entrance to the Church of St Stephen and St Tathan in the centre of Caerwent village.
Community: Caerwent (Caer-went)
Built-Up Area: Caerwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This lychgate was built in 1902 and was designed by G E Halliday (faculty). It is a memorial to Thomas Walker, engineering contractor, who died in 1899 and is buried in the churchyard near the gate. He worked widely, the plaque on the gate records that it was erected 'by members of his staff on the Manchester Ship Canal, Severn Tunnel, Buenos Aires harbour, and other works', but particularly in this context as contractor of the Severn Tunnel which he built for the Great Western Railway 1879-86. He lived during the construction of the tunnel at Mount Ballan, a house about 1km to the south-east of the church, which is now in Portskewett Community (qv).
The lychgate has parallel dwarf walls of coursed squared white rock-faced limestone rubble with red sandstone ashlar ends and capping. Moulded top carries an oak plate supporting four oak posts which carry a gabled roof. This has four kingpost trusses with curved braces, scalloped bargeboards and a tiled roof. The gate is double and revolves about a central axis which is fixed into the beam above.
Included for its group value with the Church of St Stephen and St Tathan and for its historic interest as a memorial to Thomas Walker.
Other nearby listed buildings