This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6114 / 51°36'40"N
Longitude: -2.7686 / 2°46'6"W
OS Eastings: 346874
OS Northings: 190563
OS Grid: ST468905
Mapcode National: GBR JH.9N9F
Mapcode Global: VH7B9.YRQL
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 23037
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In the centre of Caerwent village immediately north of the Church of St Stephen and St Tathan.
Community: Caerwent (Caer-went)
Built-Up Area: Caerwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This memorial was dedicated by the Archdeacon of Monmouth at a service to the fallen of WWII on 25 January 1948. It was soon after adapted to include the names of those who fell in WWI. The contractor was Mr Grassby, the Chepstow monumental mason, and the railings were fixed by Mr Hicks, the village stonemason. Renovated 1997.
The memorial is in the form of a Portland stone obelisk which stands on a square block. This block supports three low diminishing steps and then the obelisk. The top of the obelisk is also stepped and carries a circular iron lantern with a domed top. Three faces are inscribed with the names of the fallen of the Caerwent area in the two World Wars and above these is a relief block with carved wreath. The whole stands on large stone blocks, formerly part of the village Cross, and is enclosed by plain wrought iron railings.
Included for its special interest as a well designed memorial to the fallen of the two World Wars.
Other nearby listed buildings