This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6113 / 51°36'40"N
Longitude: -2.7643 / 2°45'51"W
OS Eastings: 347175
OS Northings: 190547
OS Grid: ST471905
Mapcode National: GBR JH.9PDS
Mapcode Global: VH87S.1RHN
Entry Name: Burton Homes
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 29 March 2000
Source ID: 23048
Building Class: Institutional
Location: At the east end of Caerwent village about 50m north east of the Eastgate.
Community: Caerwent (Caer-went)
Built-Up Area: Caerwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
These almshouses were built in 1913 by Colonel H Burton MD and Miss S E Burton. The Colonel, who had died in 1908, was an important local landowner living at The Slough farm, one of the two principal farms in Caerwent. The almshouses were intended as a memorial to him and were designed for twelve 'old and decrepit' women.
Interior not available at time of resurvey.
Included as a good unspoilt range of early C20 almshouses and for their historic interest to the region.
Other nearby listed buildings