This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6609 / 51°39'39"N
Longitude: -3.841 / 3°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 272761
OS Northings: 197396
OS Grid: SS727973
Mapcode National: GBR H1.6GLL
Mapcode Global: VH4K5.CJS3
Entry Name: Horeb Chapel
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 29 March 2000
Source ID: 23066
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Centrally located in the village facing the main A4230; Bethlehem Road to rear.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Community: Coedffranc (Coed-ffranc)
Built-Up Area: Neath
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Baptist Chapel built in 1868 (date on building) in the style of Thomas Thomas. The present vestry is not shown on the 1877 Ordnance Survey and was added late C19. At this time tracery was introduced to the original windows, and alterations were made inside to the vestibule.
Classical-style chapel of snecked, rock-faced sandstone with Bath stone rusticated dressings and quoins. The 3-bay gable-end front has a central bay recessed beneath an elliptical glorification arch. It spans a round-headed doorway with double panelled doors and a round overlight with Y-tracery. Above the doorway is an engraved tablet recording the building of the chapel and a 3-light window with elliptical head, and pointed lights with circles forming the tracery lights. Above the glorification arch is an oculus incorporating a quatrefoil opening. The outer bays have tall round-headed windows each with 2 pointed lights. The moulded verge incorporates a trefoil frieze in low relief. Below the L-hand window is a foundation tablet.
The R side wall has 4 tall round-headed windows with pointed lights and Y-tracery to the main chapel. These have rusticated Bath stone jambs but plain arches. Further R is the added 2-storey vestry, constructed of similar stonework to the main chapel but browner in colour and composed of slightly smaller stones. It has 2 round-headed windows lighting the upper storey similar to the main chapel windows but having rusticated instead of plain heads. The L side wall is similar except that beyond the main chapel the added vestry has, in the lower storey, a segmental-headed doorway with replaced door and blocked window to its L, while above and further L is a round-headed vestry doorway at a higher level reached from the street behind. This doorway has a replaced door and overlight, and is flanked by round-headed 2-light windows. These windows have plain heads like the main chapel and are probably re-set from the original rear wall of the chapel.
The vestibule has late C19 details: opposite the doorway is a segmental-headed glazed panel with coloured glass and margin lights. Stairs with turned balusters lead up to boarded gallery doors. Immediately flanking the glazed panel are half-lit doors to the main chapel. The boarded and ribbed ceiling has a central rose and outer panels of foliage. The original 3-sided raked gallery has plain cast iron columns with trumpet capitals, and a front with blind fretwork panels. Above the pulpit is a semi-circular arch with a panelled screen that can be removed to open up the upper storey of the vestry as a stage for choirs, situated as it is directly opposite the organ in the gallery. This stage has cast iron cresting to the front above the pulpit.
The polygonal pulpit, dated 1929, has fielded panels and has steps R and L with square panelled newels and moulded balusters. It is flanked by square panelled columns with urn finials, probably relating to the original pulpit. In front of the pulpit the baptistery is framed by a late C19 3-sided low rail with twisted cast iron columns sprouting broad foliage sprays and moulded wooden hand rail. Panelled doors to the R and L of the pulpit lead to the 2-storey vestry.
Listed for architectural interest as a well-designed C19 chapel with a fine gallery front and unusual stage behind the pulpit.
Other nearby listed buildings