This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7097 / 51°42'35"N
Longitude: -3.6949 / 3°41'41"W
OS Eastings: 282990
OS Northings: 202583
OS Grid: SN829025
Mapcode National: GBR H7.3HBF
Mapcode Global: VH5GH.X904
Entry Name: Jerusalem Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Last Amended: 15 December 2003
Source ID: 23082
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated near the centre of Resolven on the B4435 some 50m SW of the junction with Williams Avenue.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Community: Resolven (Resolfen)
Built-Up Area: Resolven
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Independent chapel of 1876 by the Rev Thomas Thomas of Landore, rebuilt according to inscription in 1903, but this probably relates to a rear addition for organ as facade is typical of Thomas' designs. The interior galleries and fittings are typical of Thomas, and matched precisely in the additions. The fine pulpit may be by Thomas, having his favoured columned Gothic panels, but is exceptional in scale and in having no platform each side, this could be a modification of 1903. The chapel was built to succeed the older chapel at Melincwrt outside Resolven.
Chapel, coursed rock-faced brown stone with tooled sandstone dressings and slate roof. Two-storey gable front with gable coping overhanging on console brackets, and kneeler and apex square blocks. Ashlar raised quoins, rusticated surrounds to all openings and rusticated surround to recessed main arch. Main arch has plaque 'Jerusalem Capel yr Annibynwyr 1875' over small ashlar octofoil rose (inscribed 'Ailadeiladwyd 1903') and thin string carried across from sills of outer first floor windows, with tiny corbel blocks under. Ground floor two doors with stone voussoirs to arched heads, arch voussoirs rise to slightly pointed outer edge with thin hood. Double doors with crescent overlights. Side bays have cambered-headed windows below and arched above, the voussoirs rising to slightly pointed arch, 2-light wooden glazing. Upper thin string course at first floor impost level . Foundation stone inscribed T. Thomas, architect, Herbert Bros, builders.
Rendered side walls, 2-storey, 7-window range of 2-light windows in stone surrounds, cambered-headed below, arched above. Five-window range on left with small 3-storey hipped stair tower to rear, cambered heads to door and first floor windows, arch-head to second floor. Raised stucco surrounds and quoins. Large arched stair light on end wall.
Interior is large scale, with boarded ceiling edged in plaster. Ceiling has lattice ribbing and ornate centre acanthus rose with scroll border. Two plain round vents. Four-sided gallery on 9 iron columns with acanthus capitals, the gallery front curved at the angles. Painted grained front with long narrow panels under strips of pierced cast iron to trefoil pattern. Pilasters between with raised motif on each, and deep cornice below with one course of zigzag. Short panels in centre of each end gallery, one with clock marked X. Ganz, Swansea 1904. The 1903 addition matches exactly, but join can be discerned and 2 of the iron columns are marked T.W. Williams & Sons Dunvant 1903. Pews with shaped ends and low doors in 3 blocks, outer pews canted, umbrella stands attached to pew ends. One of 2 inward facing blocks of pews each side of pulpit survives. Set fawr has open fretwork scroll to back, curved angles and matching gates. Massive boat-like free-standing pulpit of elongated octagon form, low base then deep boarded cove under main part which has angle columns, the bases forward of lower cornice, and with ball pendants. Gothic ornate 2-bay tracery to each panel, with black wood column shafts, turned caps and bases, moulded pointed paired heads and pierced sexfoil between heads. Sides are 2-panel long, canted front only one and rear has single curving stair up with heavy carved newels. Materials are of high quality, mostly hardwoods. Memorials to ministers each side. Entrance lobby has traceried window with coloured and etched glazing. Stairs to galleries, some pews at organ end are pitch pine, of 1903, rest painted grained. Organ by Norman & Beard 1903.
Behind chapel is vestry of 1903 with pitched roof supported by 2 large iron columns made by W A Baker & Co of Newport. Screen at one end.
Included for its architectural interest as well preserved chapel of 1876, by one of the leading C19 chapel architects in Wales, skilfully extended in 1903. Good interior including unusually designed pulpit and set fawr.
Other nearby listed buildings