History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Magistrates Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5909 / 51°35'27"N

Longitude: -3.7815 / 3°46'53"W

OS Eastings: 276687

OS Northings: 189509

OS Grid: SS766895

Mapcode National: GBR H3.BZHF

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.D8RR

Entry Name: Magistrates Court

Listing Date: 31 March 2000

Last Amended: 31 March 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23152

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Located at the corner of Oakwood Road and Cramic Way, to the S of the main railway line.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Margam Moors (Gweunydd Margam)

Community: Margam Moors

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Built as the General Offices of the Port Talbot Steel Company in the early C20. The company was incorporated in 1906 and took over and remodelled the existing works of Messrs Gilbertson of Pontardawe, who had begun in 1901 under the influence of the Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company. The offices are shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1917 surrounded by steelworks buildings and in a publication of c1920. It is little altered from that time except that the S wing was single-storey with parapets, and there was a cupola above the entrance along with some chimney stacks. The boardroom is said to have been downstairs to the L of the entrance. The building was converted to a Magistrates Court in 1988 and opened by Lord MacKay of Glasfern.

Exterior

Neo-Georgian style. Main range with end wings which are advanced to the front. Constructed of red brick in stretcher bond, suggesting double skin construction. Pale stone dressings including plinth and rusticated quoin strips to wings. Hipped tiled roofs with swept eaves, with individual roofs to the main range and each wing. The front of the main range is 7-window while the wings are 3-window. Horned multi-pane sash windows throughout with stone sills and flat gauged brick heads with keystones. Central bay with doorway and stairlight above, flanked by narrow 4-over-4-pane sash windows, under a raised segmental pediment. Doorcase with tapering pilasters, moulded capitals and wide flat cornice, containing double panelled doors with overlight. This supports a pronounced stone tablet which rises to the sill of the stairlight above and reads 'Port Talbot / Magistrates Court.' The round-headed stairlight has a moulded stone surround with ears and large inverted volutes against the jambs. A large fluted and scrolled keystone supports a keyed occulus in the pediment which has moulded stone drops to the sides. The windows flanking the central bay are 8-over-8-pane sashes, except for the outer ground floor windows which are paired 4-pane sashes. The front elevations of the wings are symmetrical with 8-over-8-pane sashes flanked by 6-over-6-pane sashes, all the windows openings with aprons. Added range to L, with large catslide section and no openings.

The N side of the N wing is also 3-window with 8-over-8-pane sashes, but those to the lower storey are not aligned with those above. The L and central lower windows have aprons beneath. The rear is rendered and altered. Flat roofed projection behind main range with lean-to to R. Mainly UPVC windows, irregularly spaced. The added bay to the S end is similar, with flat-roofed projection to rear, probably a staircase bay, and irregular windows.

Interior

The interior was altered when the building was converted to a magistrates court, with the addition of partition walls and lowered ceilings. Inside the front entrance is a small stairhall with open-well staircase to the R against the front wall. The timber balustrading consists of a turned baluster between 2 plain uprights to each tread, and a moulded handrail.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early C20 building retaining its external character, for its historic interest as the head offices of a nationally important company, and as the only surviving building of the Port Talbot Steel Company.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Plaza Cinema
    On the corner with Eagle Street; to NE of Parkway Station.
  • II Grove Place Chapel
    Set behind a low snecked stone boundary wall, cut away to the N, with large square gate piers and ca
  • II Bethany Chapel
    In a prominent position in the centre of Port Talbot. The square is at the junction of Station Road
  • II Afan Masonic Temple
    The temple fronts Forge Road; Tabernacle chapel adjoins on right.
  • II Tabernacle Chapel
    A narrow forecourt in front of the chapel faces the road and is bounded by stone gate piers and iron
  • II Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Ab
  • II Aberavon Bridge
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Ab
  • II Church of St Joseph
    Fronting the street, which continues as a path to the Aberavon shopping centre. The entrance is to

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.