History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plate-Girder Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5889 / 51°35'19"N

Longitude: -3.7979 / 3°47'52"W

OS Eastings: 275545

OS Northings: 189312

OS Grid: SS755893

Mapcode National: GBR H3.C1FT

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.4B29

Entry Name: Plate-Girder Bridge

Listing Date: 31 March 2000

Last Amended: 31 March 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23153

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the River Afan just upstream of the navigable section and set at an angle to the river. Roads and tracks branch out to the E to buildings on the wharfside.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Sandfields East (Sandfields - Dwyrain)

Community: Margam Moors

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Two-carriageway road bridge dated 1903. It was built following major development of Port Talbot docks in the late 1890s, and provided the main access to the docks from Aberavon and the W side of the river. The approach road to the W is labelled Newbridge Road (B4286) on the Ordnance Survey of 1939. It is now pedestrianised.

Exterior

Long 3-arch plate-girder bridge with wide deck. The piers and abutments are of snecked stone, the piers continuing as cut-waters. Angled abutments with quoins and concrete copings. The parapets are divided into 3 sections, one to each arch. Each section contains 1 row of riveted wrought iron plates under a top rail which curves down at the ends. The gap between each section is infilled with narrow iron railings with fleur-de-lis finials. The parapets of the central section are slightly raised and have a narrow top rail. An oval iron plaque is mounted in the centre of the S face but is not decipherable. The flanking sections have heavy riveted top rails. Open iron handrails are mounted on the parapets. These have circular posts, top rail and mid rail and small ball finials. The abutments, which continue into the river banks, support similar railings. The ends of the bridge are marked by large square stone piers with moulded arched capstones with margin drafting. The S piers support large decorative iron vases with finials (those to N piers may be missing). A large stone tablet is mounted on the inside face of the NW pier. It reads 'This bridge was erected by the Aberavon Corporation and opened by Sir Arthur Vivian KCB / October 29 1903 / Engineer, J Roderick / Contractors, Clark & Co. / Major T A Burgess / Town clerk, M Tennant'. A further pier is located at the NE end of the E abutment. The wide 2-carriageway deck has pavements to each side.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a finely detailed plate-girder bridge which is unusual at this date for carrying a strategic road rather than a railway. The association with the development of Port Talbot docks is of additional historic interest.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Plate-Girder Bridge
    Spanning the River Afan just upstream of the navigable section, and linking Sandfields with the dock
  • II Former Harbour House
    Located on the N side of New Dock and accessed by a narrow road which lead S along the River Afan fr
  • II Harbour Watch-Tower
    On the S side of the mouth of the River Afan, just to the W of the Harbour Master's Office.
  • II War Memorial
    Located in the centre of the park and the focal point. The main avenue approaches from the E.
  • II Church of St Joseph
    Fronting the street, which continues as a path to the Aberavon shopping centre. The entrance is to
  • II Church of St Mary
    Located in a quadrangular churchyard, encircled by the high-level A48. Just to the S of Aberavon sh
  • II Magistrates Court
    Located at the corner of Oakwood Road and Cramic Way, to the S of the main railway line.
  • II Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Ab

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.