This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5865 / 51°35'11"N
Longitude: -3.7902 / 3°47'24"W
OS Eastings: 276066
OS Northings: 189031
OS Grid: SS760890
Mapcode National: GBR H3.C9B9
Mapcode Global: VH5H1.8D35
Entry Name: Former Harbour House
Listing Date: 31 March 2000
Last Amended: 31 March 2000
Source ID: 23154
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Located on the N side of New Dock and accessed by a narrow road which lead S along the River Afan from Dock Road.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Community: Margam Moors (Gweunydd Margam)
Community: Margam Moors
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey of 1876 and probably dating to the 3rd quarter of the C19. The harbour master's house was in a central position on the wharfside. Following the redevelopment of the docks, it was conveniently situated between New Dock (opened in 1898) and Old Dock. The building is now a centre for the sea scouts.
Tudor-Gothic style. Large symmetrical 5-window building of 2 storeys and an attic. Advanced central gabled bay with barge boards and large finial. Constructed of coursed stone with quoins, replaced slate roof coverings and stone ridge stacks to ends and centre with moulded caps. Detail includes a plat band and openings with pronounced rusticated jambs and square hoodmoulds. The windows are lancets or flat-headed lights with horizontal glazing bars. The advanced central bay has 3-light windows, flat-headed to the lower storey and lancets above. Single lancet in gable. The S side of the gable at ground floor level has a single lancet, now blocked. The central bay is flanked by doorways with raised Tudor-arched heads, containing wooden doors with overlights. To the outer sides are 3-lancet windows. The upper storey has flat-headed windows, single-light above the doors and 3-light above the lancets. Narrow square headed attic light to S gable, and similar arrangement to N gable end. Brick lean-to to rear with segmental-arched window openings.
No access to interior at time of inspection (1/12/99).
Listed as an unusual survival of a C19 harbour house, retaining its character, and of historic interest for pre-dating the major redevelopment of the docks.
Other nearby listed buildings