This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6821 / 52°40'55"N
Longitude: -3.8838 / 3°53'1"W
OS Eastings: 272749
OS Northings: 311046
OS Grid: SH727110
Mapcode National: GBR 91.40DM
Mapcode Global: WH56W.9VT5
Entry Name: Roadside barn at Llwyn-dol-ithel farm
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23159
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The barn lies against the road close to the right-angled bend, beyond the N end of Tal-y-llyn lake, and beside the track to Llwyn-dol-ithel farm.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The storage building was probably constructed in the early C18 in a position to facilitate transport of grain by road. Later, in 1838, the farm of 186 acres (75ha) was owned by Aneurin Owen and tenanted by Griffith Jones.
The barn is constructed with irregular shaped large rubble boulders, with a slate roof between rubble-coped gables. An integral lean-to at the rear with an access door and 2 small windows. The road side has a central boarded door, and a pitching door over, and to each side, a pair of slit vents to each internal level. A further 5 slit vents are arranged geometrically in the SW gable end.
The interior is divided by roof trusses into 3 bays; low tie beams with queen posts to a collar. The integral outshut is supported by a curved strut to an extension of the principal rafter.
Included as an unusually well preserved farm building of C18 character constructed in the local vernacular tradition using boulders, in a conspicuous position beside the road.