This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6713 / 52°40'16"N
Longitude: -3.9585 / 3°57'30"W
OS Eastings: 267669
OS Northings: 309971
OS Grid: SH676099
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.4S02
Mapcode Global: WH571.538Z
Entry Name: Gwastadfryn
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23167
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm is the last in the upper valley of the Afon Cadair, lying approximately 570m beyond Pont Ty'n-y-fach,
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The farmhouse was built in the C17, and remodelled in the late C18 or early C19. In the 1838 tithe award, it was the largest holding in the valley with 750 acres (303.5ha) of arable and pasture, only valued at £15.11s (£15.55p), this probably being largely hill county, held by David Williams.
Built of local slate stone, with slate roofs (renewed, 2000). Two storeys, consisting of a main 3-bay range facing W towards the road, and a rear wing of 2 bays, extended to the S by an open fronted lean-to, and having a small gabled porch on the N side. The facade is whitewashed and symmetrical, slightly offset to the left. Central C20 door with 6-pane glazed panel. Three-light windows to both floors each side, all ground floor openings having stone hoods on small stone brackets, and a 2-light window over the door. Gable end stacks, that at the S end external.
Central stair hall with doors to the living room on the left (N) side, and a parlour to the right. Kitchen and service rooms in the rear wing. The lean-to was originally connected to an iron waterwheel in a water channel running past the gable end of the rear wing.
Included as a well preserved upland farmhouse of special interest for the early end-chimney plan and internal partitioning.
Other nearby listed buildings