This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6439 / 52°38'38"N
Longitude: -3.9552 / 3°57'18"W
OS Eastings: 267807
OS Northings: 306923
OS Grid: SH678069
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.6DSV
Mapcode Global: WH571.6STZ
Entry Name: ,2,Heol Tan-y-bryn,Abergynolwyn,Tywyn,,LL36 9UY
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23169
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol Tan-y-bryn is a development of two confronting terraces of houses running NE-SW, on the S side of Abergynolwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The houses fronting Tan-y-bryn were designed by T H Connell for the Aberdovey Slate Co Ltd between 1865 and 1868. It consited of a street of two facing rows of 22 houses also by T H Connell, the 12 on the N side containing a parlour, living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. On the S side 5 larger houses had four bedrooms, presumably the houses at the W end of the S side, and 6 were smaller with only two bedrooms. One other was to a different plan, presumably incorporated a shop. All had back gardens. The quarry was sold in 1879, and closed in 1909, but was re-formed as the Abergynolwyn Slate and Slab Co Ltd in 1911, continuing production into the late 1920s.
The door and windows have been replaced with uPVC simulating sash windows.
Included as part of a mid-later C19 formally planned development of high quality workers' dwellings of urban character for a specific local industry, and one retaining much of it original character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings