This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6439 / 52°38'37"N
Longitude: -3.9549 / 3°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 267828
OS Northings: 306921
OS Grid: SH678069
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.6DX4
Mapcode Global: WH571.6TZ0
Entry Name: ,7A,Heol Tan-y-bryn, including railings to front,Abergynolwyn,Tywyn,,LL36 9YA
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23186
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol Tan-y-bryn is a development of two confronting terraces of houses running NE-SW, on the S side of Abergynolwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The houses fronting Tan-y-bryn were designed by T H Connell for the Aberdovey Slate Co Ltd between 1865 and 1868. It consisted of a street of two facing rows of 22 houses also by T H Connell, the 12 on the N side containing a parlour, living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. On the S side 5 larger houses had four bedrooms, presumably the houses at the W end of the S side, and 6 were smaller with only two bedrooms. One other is to a different plan, presumably to incorporate a shop. All had back gardens. The quarry was sold in 1879, and closed in 1909, but was re-formed as the Abergynolwyn Slate and Slab Co Ltd in 1911, continuing production into the late 1920s. No 7A is one of the larger houses at the W end of the S row are said to be the earliest to be erected in the street.
Three window bays, with a modern panelled door and overlight with cast glass. uPVC simulated 12-pane sash windows, 3 on each upper floor, and brick panel between two on the ground floor in the postiion of the orginal door. Door and windows to the right of the present entrance are enclosed in low cast iron railings with javelin heads and urn corner finials.
C20 lean-to at the rear.
Included as part of a mid-later C19 planned development of high quality workers' dwellings of urban character for a specific local industry.
Other nearby listed buildings