This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6438 / 52°38'37"N
Longitude: -3.955 / 3°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 267824
OS Northings: 306916
OS Grid: SH678069
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.6DW1
Mapcode Global: WH571.6TY1
Entry Name: Isfryn, including railings to the front
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23187
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol Tan-y-bryn is a development of two confronting terraces opf houses running NE-SW, on the S side of Abergynolwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The houses fronting Tan-y-bryn were designed by T H Connell for the Aberdovey Slate Co Ltd between 1865 and 1868. It consisted of a street of two facing rows of 22 houses also by T H Connell, the 12 on the N side containing a parlour, living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. On the S side 5 larger houses had four bedrooms, presumably the houses at the W end of the S side, and 6 were smaller with only two bedrooms. One other is to a different plan, presumably to incorporate a shop. All had back gardens. The quarry was sold in 1879, and closed in 1909, but was re-formed as the Abergynolwyn Slate and Slab Co Ltd in 1911, continuing production into the late 1920s. No 8A is one of the larger houses at the W end of the S row are said to be the earliest to be erected in the street.
No 8A consists of 2 window bays, and is largely in its original external condition, with unhorned sash windows, railings and gate at the front, and a single storey outbuilding at right angles at the rear.
Included as part of a mid-later C19 planned development of high quality workers' dwellings of urban character for a specific local industry, retaining much of its original character and detail virtually intact.
Other nearby listed buildings