This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6438 / 52°38'37"N
Longitude: -3.955 / 3°57'18"W
OS Eastings: 267821
OS Northings: 306913
OS Grid: SH678069
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.6DW2
Mapcode Global: WH571.6TX1
Entry Name: ,9A,Heol Tan-y-bryn, including railings to front,Abergynolwyn,Tywyn,,LL36 9YA
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23188
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol Tan-y-bryn is a development of two confronting terraces of houses running NE-SW, on the S side of Abergynolwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The houses fronting Tan-y-bryn were designed by T H Connell for the Aberdovey Slate Co Ltd between 1865 and 1868. It consisted of a street of two facing rows of 22 houses also by T H Connell, the 12 on the N side containing a parlour, living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. On the S side 5 larger houses had four bedrooms, presumably the houses at the W end of the S side, and 6 were smaller with only two bedrooms. One other is to a different plan, presumably to incorporate a shop. All had back gardens. The quarry was sold in 1879, and closed in 1909, but was re-formed as the Abergynolwyn Slate and Slab Co Ltd in 1911, continuing production into the late 1920s. No 9A is one of the larger houses at the W end of the S row, said to be the earliest to be erected in the street.
Two window bays, but wider than the adjoining No 8A. Three panelled door and 12-pane horned sash windows. Railings and gate at the front. The original rear service building has been extended in line.
Included as part of a mid-later C19 formal development of high quality workers' dwellings for the slate industry retaining much of its original character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings