This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6613 / 52°39'40"N
Longitude: -3.9174 / 3°55'2"W
OS Eastings: 270414
OS Northings: 308790
OS Grid: SH704087
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z.5J3F
Mapcode Global: WH571.SCRM
Entry Name: Barn at Maes-y-pandy
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23221
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Maes-y-pandy farmstead lies in the valley bottom, close to the Afon Fathew, and SW of Llyn Mwyngil. The barn stands on an eminence running across the valley, to the NW of the farmhouse.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built in c.1780, probably by the Nannau family in whose ownership the farm was in the C18.
Built of regular local stone rubble on a foundation which includes quartz boulders. Slate roof between raised boulder gables. The building consists of the main 5-bay barn, with a rear wing on the NE which provides open fronted cartsheds and granary over. The barn has a central pair of doors in a timber frame with central post, concrete lintel over replacing timber c.1975. Similar door on NW side. Two tiers of ventilation slits. Pitching doors in each gable end, and a new opening to admit farm machinery in the NE gable. Added to the rear, a 2-bay cart house, the lintels replaced in timber, and a small glazed window to the granary loft.
Four tie beam trusses with raking struts.
Included as a fine late C18 free-standing barn as appropriate to a more prosperous farmstead, so placed to allow through draught for winnowing.
Other nearby listed buildings