This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5605 / 51°33'37"N
Longitude: -3.7315 / 3°43'53"W
OS Eastings: 280066
OS Northings: 186041
OS Grid: SS800860
Mapcode National: GBR H6.DS4N
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.81NK
Entry Name: Pair of Gate Piers to the Former Margam House
Listing Date: 25 April 2000
Last Amended: 25 April 2000
Source ID: 23271
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located on a large grassed area on the R side of the driveway leading into Margam Park. The cricket pitch and pavilion are further to the R.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Locality: Margam Park
Traditional County: Glamorgan
There were 3 sets of gate piers on the avenue leading to the main entrance of the former Margam House. They are shown in two C17 paintings and are probably one of 2 sets at each end of a square enclosure containing 4 fishponds. Constructed of Sutton limestone from the former abbey. They are not in their original position, and may have been moved during C R M Talbot's reconstruction of the gardens in 1830-40.
Two square gate piers of limestone ashlar. Flat cap stones with mouldings to undersides, surmounted by large ball finials on moulded pedestals. Ornamental scroll to exterior side of each pier supported on a corbel. Jambs to interior sides.
Listed as early gate piers with well preserved architectural detail. In a prominent position.
Other nearby listed buildings