History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roving Bridge over Neath Canal at Giant's Grave

A Grade II Listed Building in Briton Ferry, Neath Port Talbot

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6382 / 51°38'17"N

Longitude: -3.8289 / 3°49'44"W

OS Eastings: 273531

OS Northings: 194854

OS Grid: SS735948

Mapcode National: GBR H1.85LN

Mapcode Global: VH4KC.L25Y

Entry Name: Roving Bridge over Neath Canal at Giant's Grave

Listing Date: 19 May 2000

Last Amended: 19 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23304

Building Class: Transport

Location: Crossing the Neath Canal immediately W of the end of Giant's Grave Road.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Community: Briton Ferry (Llansawel)

Community: Briton Ferry

Locality: Giant's Grave

Built-Up Area: Neath

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Llandarcy

History

The Neath Canal was begun in 1791 and opened in 1794 to exploit the coal reserves of the upper Neath valley. The canal was originally cut as far as Melincrythan near Neath, where it joined the river. In 1798-9 the canal was extended to Giant's Grave, terminating in a basin. Later it was extended piecemeal further towards the coast (known as the Jersey Canal), beginning c1815 by a short extension to a new transhipment point, until 1847 when it had reached the new Briton Ferry Ironworks. The canal was closed to traffic in 1921. The roving bridge, probably completed by 1799, has ramped approaches facing the W on both sides on order that horses could cross the bridge without releasing the tow rope.

Exterior

A single-span bridge, of which the original stonework is snecked rubble, the restoration work random rubble. The segmental arch has tooled voussoirs and larger dressed quoins. The parapet has renewed flat stone copings. The hump-backed deck is laid with concrete and returns on the S side to form the ramped approaches. On the W side the parapet of the approach is ramped down to ground level adjacent to the canal.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding recent restoration, for industrial archaeological interest as an original built component of the Neath Canal.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.