This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6259 / 51°37'33"N
Longitude: -3.8318 / 3°49'54"W
OS Eastings: 273300
OS Northings: 193492
OS Grid: SS733934
Mapcode National: GBR H1.8YPY
Mapcode Global: VH4KC.JDND
Entry Name: North jetty of outer tidal basin at Briton Ferry Docks
Listing Date: 19 May 2000
Last Amended: 19 May 2000
Source ID: 23311
Building Class: Maritime
Location: On the E bank of the River Neath 350m SW of the entrance to the floating dock.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Community: Briton Ferry (Llansawel)
Community: Briton Ferry
Locality: Briton Ferry Docks
The Briton Ferry Dock Act was passed in 1851 and the dock was opened in 1861. Its engineer was Isambard Kingdom Brunel who died in 1859 before the project was completed. It comprised an inner floating dock and an outer tidal basin, between which was a hydraulically powered lock gate. The dock closed in 1959, subsequent to which the inner floating dock has silted up. A corresponding jetty on the S side of the outer tidal basin is now ruinous.
The jetty is built of battered walls of coursed, rock-faced sandstone with large coping stones. The outer end terminates with a wider round bastion. Timber staging is added to the inner wall.
Listed for group value with other listed items associated with Briton Ferry Docks.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Gm445 (NEP).
Other nearby listed buildings