This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5651 / 52°33'54"N
Longitude: -3.9576 / 3°57'27"W
OS Eastings: 267410
OS Northings: 298163
OS Grid: SN674981
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.CD74
Mapcode Global: WH57F.5SQD
Entry Name: Gogarth Hall
Listing Date: 25 May 2000
Last Amended: 25 May 2000
Source ID: 23323
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse is raised on a bank above the main Machynlleth to Aberdovey road, facing SE over the floodlands of the Dovey.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The farmstead, which was for long the central homestead for the Hughes family, is probably of early origin, although the present house is largely late C18 or early C19, perhaps built at the marriage of William Hughes with Anna M Annwyl in 1796, or following the death of John Hughes in 1801. It was extensively remodelled in the 1880-1890 period.
Built of rubble stonework and whitewashed, with a slate roof. Two storeys and attic, the original building consists of a symmetrical front of two window bays with a central entrance, a 4-panelled door with patterned overlight, set in a later open-fronted lean-to porch. To either side, 12-pane sash windows, and similar windows on the first floor, the heads raised through the eaves and gabled. Gable end stone stacks. The house has been extended, probably in the mid C19, by a further 2 bays at the NE end, with similar windows to ground and first floors, and a small multi-paned window lighting the attic. A lean-to to the right on the end bay connects with a former service range, now separate accommodation. The rear elevation has irregular windows, with an extensive rear wing on the left, and a single-storey lean-to at the rear of the main house.
The interior has been extensively modernised in the late C19, with boldly moulded cornices, chair rails, doors and architraves, and other period details.
Included as a major farmhouse of the area of lesser gentry status, retaining the character of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings