This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5653 / 52°33'55"N
Longitude: -3.9577 / 3°57'27"W
OS Eastings: 267404
OS Northings: 298190
OS Grid: SN674981
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.CD72
Mapcode Global: WH57F.5SN6
Entry Name: Barn Range at Gogarth Hall
Listing Date: 25 May 2000
Last Amended: 25 May 2000
Source ID: 23324
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Gogarth Hall lies above the A493, off the road to Aberdovey. The barn range is uphill sited, forming the NE side of the earlier farmyard at the rear of the house.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The barn range was built in the mid C18, having a reliable date stone above the main doors reading H/W B/1747, probably for William Hughes, father of John d.1801, who was granted a seat in the parish church for 10,000 years.
Built of well cut and coursed rubble stonework, with a continuous slate roof ending in a coped raised gable at the lower S end. The range comprises a cowhouse range at the upper NW end, of separate build, and a barn and storeyed stable or store at the lower end, ending with a coped gable.
The cowhouse range has stable type doors and vented openings facing W, while the barn has a narrow pair of high doors with a segmental vousoired arch, and the datestone immediately above, under the eaves. To either side, two tiers of slit vents, and a further 5 vents in the lower gable end. To the rear, a matching and opposed door to the barn, further ventilation slits, and two pitching openings under the eaves.
Included as a fine, well constructed C18 farm range for an important farm.