This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5995 / 52°35'58"N
Longitude: -3.862 / 3°51'43"W
OS Eastings: 273988
OS Northings: 301816
OS Grid: SH739018
Mapcode National: GBR 91.9CST
Mapcode Global: WH578.NX5K
Entry Name: Penrhyn-Dyfi
Listing Date: 25 May 2000
Last Amended: 25 May 2000
Source ID: 23325
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands prominently on a bank overlooking the road and the estuary of the Dovey, approximately 450m W of the Pont-ar-ddyfi.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The house was probably built in the early C19, and appears on the tithe map of 1841, then owned by Sir John Edwards, Bt. In 1906 it was occupied by John Parry.
A tall house of pebbledashed and painted stone, with a slate roof. Three storeys, double pile plan of 3 window bays at the front, with a symmetrical S front about a central entrance. Six-panelled part-glazed panelled doors set within a Tuscan portico of sandstone. To either side, 4-light paned windows set in openings with cambered heads. Above, on both upper floors, 12-paned unhorned sash windows set deep in the openings. Modillion eaves cornice, returned a short distance on both gable ends to form, with the raking cornices, an open pediment on both gables. This has sash windows on all three floors either side of the part-external chimney stack. At the W end, a 2-storey service wing in line, and a continuous lean-to at the rear.
The front entrance leads to a quarry tiled narrow hallway with reception rooms each side and a dog-leg stair with balusters and turned newel at the end. Six-panelled doors.
Included as a fine farmhouse of some architectural sophistication and gentry status, prominently sited in relation to the Dovey valley
Other nearby listed buildings