This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5791 / 52°34'44"N
Longitude: -3.9026 / 3°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 271179
OS Northings: 299621
OS Grid: SN711996
Mapcode National: GBR 90.BMS8
Mapcode Global: WH57G.0FXM
Entry Name: Llugwy Hall
Listing Date: 25 May 2000
Last Amended: 25 May 2000
Source ID: 23327
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house, formerly known simply as Llugwy, stands on the right bank of the River Dovey, approximately 1400m SE of Pennal village.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The earlier section of the house is said to date from 1611, a date supported by architectural evidence. There is slight evidence that the 3-storey porch had equal wings each side. It was extensively enlarged, perhaps first in 1746, a date on a now detached datestone, and again in c1890 in a matching Jacobean Gothic style. A matching wing on N side of the porch was demolished in c1963, to be replaced by a series of modern buildings for the former hotel. The house was the centre of the Anwyl Estate from at least 1695, when Maurice Anwyl, who married Joan, came into her inheritance at Llugwy. The family, who claimed descent from Owain Gwynedd, had earlier been based at Parc, Llanfrothen. Llugwy continued with the family into the early C20, a later owner being Robert Charles Anwyl JP, High Sheriff of the county, who died in 1900. It later passed to the Ruck estate, and was sold, with (209 acres) 84.6 hectares, to Fraser Carson in April 1948. The family motto 'Eryr eryrod Eryri' and arms are said to survive plastered over within the porch.
The earlier section consists of the N block, now only perceived as an entrance gable end facing E. Coursed stonework, with quoins on the later work, and red sandstone details. Grey slate roofs. This is a 3 storey block, with a 2-storey forebuilding containing a 4-centred arch over the studded oak entrance doors, the arch formed with regular cut voussoirs. Directly above, a 3-light transomed window in red sandstone, each upper light arched, all under a moulded label. Crenellated parapet. The end gable behind has arch-headed lancets on each of the two lower floors either side of the forebuilding, all with well-formed flush arches, those on the first floor longer. Similar windows on the return sides of the forebuilding. Above the crenellated parapet, a 3-light transomed window with a label head moulding, rising into the shaped Flemish-style gable, the arched head and kneelers crowned with ball finials. This range has a flush stack on the N side.
The C19 part extends S towards the river, and consists of a large 3-storey parallel block articulated as three principal gables repeating the Jacobean mullioned and transomed windows in red stone, the floors separated by a moulded string. The left (W) end bay is wider, with 4-light windows; to its right a narrow link set back, and having a lower curved parapet, the third gable set well forward, with 3-light windows, and the end, fourth, gable, also with three light windows, but with a stone doorcase with a stone framed 2-light overlight, and panelled doors to the garden. This end returns at the E with similar detail to meet the early entrance block. Steel fire escape on the W return end. The house has been further extended to the N in the C20 to provide hotel accommodation.
The front door in the early section opens to a large low hall, with a lateral ashlar-built fireplace with an arched head and pronounced keystone, all set in a Jacobean style carved surround, probably C19. The hall opens at the rear into a stair hall, with lateral open well stair, again of neo-Jacobean style. This extends to the second floor, opening into a chamber with a section of stair, possibly part of the original stair.
Listed as a substantial county seat in which the Jacobean origins retained in the entrance block have been taken as a basis for its further development into a large C19 building, employing a skillfully detailed neo-Jacobean style.
Other nearby listed buildings