This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1965 / 53°11'47"N
Longitude: -4.0916 / 4°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 260373
OS Northings: 368641
OS Grid: SH603686
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.2NKT
Mapcode Global: WH548.3XXD
Entry Name: Caeherfyn Cottage
Listing Date: 24 May 2000
Last Amended: 17 July 2002
Source ID: 23346
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in roadside position directly at right-angles to minor road running northwards from Tregarth towards the A 5; garden to north is separated from small area immediately in front of cottage by l
Community: Llandygai (Llandygái)
Built-Up Area: Tregarth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, the cottage originated in the early C19 as a smallholder's cottage with its own small field system; as such, it is one of the few buildings in Tregarth pre-dating its development as a small slate quarry village from c1850 onwards, even if the cottage's original occupants also supplemented their income by working in the Penrhyn Slate Quarry.
Single-storey 2-room plan, aligned roughly east-west, with loft over right (west) room. Roughly coursed rubblestone; graded slate roof with purple brick coping. Front has 4-pane horned sashes with red-painted frames and slate cills on either side of offset boarded door with glazed panel, all openings under slate lintels; rendered integral end stacks. Small window in right gable end lights crog-lofft above right room. Lean-to on rear with boarded door to road.
Interior not accessible at time of Survey but its unspoilt exterior suggests that it is unlikely to be extensively altered and therefore it is probably of particular interest.
Included as an especially well-preserved early C19 smallholder's cottage retaining its original detail and vernacular character remarkably intact.
Other nearby listed buildings